close
close

T20 Women’s World Cup 2024: Bess Heath and Freya Kemp both named in Heather Knight’s squad | Cricket News

T20 Women’s World Cup 2024: Bess Heath and Freya Kemp both named in Heather Knight’s squad | Cricket News

Bess Heath and Freya Kemp have both been included in England’s squad for the Women’s T20 World Cup in the United Arab Emirates in October.

Wicketkeeper and batsman Heath and all-rounder Kemp will be taking part in the tournament for the first time and Danielle Gibson has also been included in the 15-man squad after being a travelling substitute when England reached the semi-finals in South Africa last year.

Among those who missed out on the selection were opening batswoman Tammy Beaumont and seamer Kate Cross, who was part of the team in South Africa, but head coach Jon Lewis stressed that the door remains open for anyone who was not selected.

England Women’s T20 World Cup Squad

Heather Knight (captain), Lauren Bell, Maia Bouchier, Alice Capsey, Charlie Dean, Sophia Dunkley, Sophie Ecclestone, Danielle Gibson, Sarah Glenn, Bess Heath, Amy Jones, Freya Kemp, Nat Sciver-Brunt, Linsey Smith, Danni Wyatt.

“Selecting teams and squads with this group of players has become incredibly tricky and difficult,” Lewis said.

“There are players who were really unlucky not to be there and they will play a big part in what we achieve in English cricket in the future.

“I think the 15 players we have selected give us a really well-balanced squad in terms of experience, youth and, most importantly, the ability to cope and excel in the conditions we face in the UAE.”

Linsey Smith, who returned to the England team earlier this year, is part of the team’s spin bowling attack along with Sophie Ecclestone, the top wicket-taker of the 2023 tournament.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player.

Sky Sports’ Charlotte Edwards and Katherine Sciver-Brunt predict England’s team for their opening match at the T20 World Cup.

Hard-hitting batsmen Heath and Kemp, who was the highest wicket-taker in the women’s edition of The Hundred this year, are both preparing for the tournament by joining the England team for the one-day international leg of the white-ball tour of Ireland and then heading to Abu Dhabi for the World Cup training camp from September 13-24.

This year’s World Cup, which was moved from Bangladesh to the United Arab Emirates due to political unrest, begins for England with a match against Bangladesh on October 5. Heather Knight’s team will also face South Africa, Scotland and the West Indies in Group B.

“World Cups are always special occasions for a player and I am really excited about the team we have selected to travel to the United Arab Emirates,” said Knight.

“It is an honor to lead the team to another World Cup. We look forward to the challenges and opportunities ahead.”

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player.

Highlights from the Kia Oval as England claimed a series win over New Zealand in this year’s T20I series

Cross, meanwhile, will lead England in both the ODI and T20 series against Ireland next month, which begins with three 50-overs-a-side matches in Belfast followed by three T20Is in Dublin.

The 32-year-old captains a team rich in youth and experience, with Hannah Baker, Ryana MacDonald-Gay and Paige Schofield making their senior international debuts in both formats.

Another newcomer, Georgia Davis, is only included for the ODIs, while potential debutants Charis Pavely, Georgia Adams and Seren Smale are also in the T20I squad.

Mahika Gaur returns to the T20I team after missing the series against New Zealand and The Hundred due to a side strain, while Lauren Filer will feature in the ODIs before joining England’s World Cup team for training camp.

Teams of the English women’s tour of Ireland

ODI Squad: Kate Cross (captain), Hollie Armitage, Hannah Baker, Tammy Beaumont, Georgia Davis, Lauren Filer, Bess Heath, Freya Kemp, Emma Lamb, Ryana MacDonald-Gay, Paige Scholfield, Bryony Smith, Mady Villiers, Issy Wong.

T20I Squad: Kate Cross (captain), Georgia Adams, Hollie Armitage, Hannah Baker, Tammy Beaumont, Mahika Gaur, Ryana MacDonald-Gay, Charis Pavely, Paige Scholfield, Seren Smale, Bryony Smith, Mady Villiers, Issy Wong.

“The squad features an exciting mix of experienced international players, those returning to a team after previous appearances and those yet to take their first steps on the international stage,” said Jonathan Finch, director of English women’s cricket.

“The increasing complexity and challenges of managing the year-round playing calendars of our international players provide those who have pushed for selection with the opportunity to make their mark on the international stage.”

Schedule of the English women’s tour of Ireland

• Saturday, September 7: Ireland vs England, first ODI (Belfast)
  • Monday, September 9: Ireland vs England, second ODI (Belfast)
  • Wednesday, September 11: Ireland vs England, third ODI (Belfast)
  • Saturday, September 14th: Ireland vs England, first T20I (Dublin)
  • Sunday, September 15: Ireland vs England, second T20I (Dublin)

England Women’s T20 World Cup fixtures

• Saturday, October 5: Bangladesh vs England (Sharjah)
  • Monday, October 7: England vs South Africa (Sharjah)
  • Sunday, October 13th: England vs Scotland (Sharjah)
  • Tuesday, October 15: England vs West Indies (Dubai)
  • Thursday, October 17: Semi-final 1 (Dubai)
  • Friday, October 18: Semi-final 2 (Sharjah)
  • Sunday, October 20: Final (Dubai)

Watch every Women’s T20 World Cup match live on Sky Sports from October 3-20. Also stream with NOW.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *